Monday, January 26, 2009

Yay Me!...well, except for the burnt cake

Ok, the cake didn't totally burn, and it was my fault that it got just a little extra crispy, which if it were bacon would have been fine.

Here's the real scoop. As you know, I have spent much time researching and applying for many jobs. I have had a few interviews, but am pretty sure that I have received more rejection emails and letters than the number of jobs I have applied for. Thanks Economy, for that. It sure can make you feel like a failure when you receive several letters a day telling you that nobody wants you due to lack of experience in that field. I mean, all I needed was someone to give me a chance to see how wonderful I can be.

Well, as I was sitting in the kitchen waiting for the cake timer to go off (yes, I know...comfort food) I decided to go through my usual routine of email, facebook and blog checking, and much to my dismay, there was an email from an employer...and, what the dirty? it wasn't a rejection! It very simply said, "Andrea, I am interested in you for our events coordinator position. Please call."

So of course, I went running upstairs to Todd, laptop still open and in hand yelling, "Someone wants me! Someone wants me!"

This was a Saturday night and so I wasn't certain if I should call right away, but Todd urged me to. I had barely received the email, and so chances were that he was working. He was. He even wanted to interview me that evening, but was too busy. I did meet with him early this morning, however.

The job is working for a company that puts together conferences and seminars dealing with reverse logistics or aftermarket supply chain management. They are based right by my house and do conferences several times a year all around the world. Plus, they also do smaller seminars around the U.S., which would be officially what I could be in charge of. I think the interview went pretty well. We'll see if I pass the baptism by fire test of helping out at a conference this next week. I am going to Vegas to help with their biggest conference of the year. It will essentially be Friday to Friday. If I am fantastic...well, you get the idea. Wish me luck.

Now back to the cake. Yes, I missed the timer in all of my excitement, but Todd understood. We just ate the center out and avoided the crunchy edges.

3 comments:

jet said...

Congrats! That is awesome! Hope Vegas is nice and warm. :)

Meagen Ridley said...

I like your new blog design! And good luck!

Tamaran said...

CONGRATS! I am so excited for you. You will do fine. You know all about that running conferences stuff. You were always great at the HOSA conference. This may be a little bigger...but I know you can do it. GOOD LUCK!!!