Sunday, September 14, 2008

Quick Funny Story


Todd is very athletic. He plays basketball several times a week, flag football, etc. Any opportunity to play sports and he is there. I, on the other hand, love the social aspect of sports, but am not the most talented when it comes to any sport involving a ball. What can I say? I did dance and gymnastics while growing up. So the other day when Todd wanted me to help teach his girls how to play football, basketball and baseball (mini-lessons that had been requested) I was willing, but not wanting to make a fool of myself.

The first sport was football (Todd's real true love) and we taught Jessica how to hand off the ball and run for it. She already knew the basics from some TV commercial where one of the NFL Pros showed them how to "flick the booger" for a nice spiral. Dangit all, she can throw a spiral and I can't.

Next was basketball. Now, I have been shooting around a little bit lately because we have a fantastic hoop in our driveway and Todd and I have been competing over our free throw shot averages. Needless to say, me and my 40% average weren't doing too badly. I was starting to feel a little athletic and like I should grunt and slap someone's backside or something. Unfortunately, basketball was the shortest of the lessons.

Next came baseball. I will, however, let you in on a secret. Although I sucked at it, I was on a softball team. Of course, Todd knows about the team...and that I was most certainly NOT MVP of any game or season. So imagine Todd's surprise when I lobbed the ball at him, and it was a decent throw. (Sorry, I'm trying not to giggle right now.) Not only was he surprised that I could throw, but insomuch that he forgot to catch the ball. It bounced right off his forehead high into the air. And I, being the good little wife that I am, threw my head back and guffawed wholeheartedly. Of course, I made sure he was OK, too.

I do not think he will underestimate me again.

3 comments:

Tamaran said...

Thanks for sharing the story. Its started out to be a poo day and that visual brought a smile to my face! Any marks left on his forehead from the ball?

Denae said...

HAHAHAHA that is awesome.

Andrea said...

No marks left on his forehead, but it is a bit tender.