Thursday, September 13, 2007

So Long, Summer

My buddy calls me a water baby. I don't know if that is a compliment or not. All I know is that I love playing in the water. That is definitely the best part of summertime. Unfortunately, this summer was a bust as far as wakeboarding and swimming went. I did get to Lake Powell a couple of times, but that was the extent of my boating sojourn. As for swimming...well, I swam laps intermittently during the summer, but not often enough for me to get a great tan like I did last summer. Oh, and by a great tan, I just mean that I actually had a few tan lines. Anyway, there is just something so calm and relaxing about gliding through the cool water with it smoothly flowing over your body. I love the fact that I can put my head under water and it muffles all the outside sounds, creating your own little world of solitude. Swimming laps is when I get my best thinking done. There are no distractions, just me and the ripples of light on the pool floor. You may think, well, isn't an indoor pool during the winter just as good? I beg to differ. The cramped feeling of being indoors and the over-chlorinated pools with that dirty pool and the echoes of kids screaming and whistle blowing ruins all the ambiance that the water affords. This is why I hate to say goodbye to summer, even as much as I enjoy the colorful leaves of fall. Of course, then I think...brisk walks with fallen leaves swirling around my feet. Every season has it's magic.

1 comment:

Denae said...

Water is an amazing thing. I love when I swim that I hear the rhythum of my breath while swimming. sort of putting a balance to nature or what not...babbling..

*hugs*