Monday, July 21, 2008

Poor, Poor Putty Tat


So the poor little kitty is going to have to get declawed. I feel so horrible about it, but we can't get her to only scratch her scratching box. She has a tendency to scratch up walls in addition to furniture. Plus, the last straw was when a dog scared her while Kailey was holding her and she scratched up poor Kailey's neck and jaw pretty badly.

I have done my research, though. I found that there is a place called Timpanogas Pet Hospital in Pleasant Grove that uses a laser to declaw. The vet was even cited in several national articles as being one of the first to use lasers to perform this caturgery. After reading all of the different blogs and sites that talk about how cruel it is to declaw cats it was a relief to find a kinder solution. It was also good to talk to the hospital and find out that the end knuckle of the cat is NOT cut off. They go in and cut out the nailbed, exactly what they do to humans who have to have nails removed.

So although I am still wary of declawing, I am feeling much better about it.

No comments: