Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Tick Tock Tick Tock


AAAANNNNNDDDD we're off on the great race for the "Hi, I'm a new graduate with knowledge but not enough experience" job!

I can't believe this time has finally come. My new motto has become..."a resume a day keeps the debt away." I know, it's real original. I never claimed to be creative. ANYWAY, here is my plan. I am handing in a resume a day and hoping for a 20% return rate on what I send out. Hopefully my response rate won't be 100% negative. My goal is to have a job lined up before graduation. I really hate having to find a job and go through a million interviews. A lot of my classmates already have jobs lined up. Heck! Some of them have even started their jobs! I have one buddy who has to commute now because he relocated for his job and has a couple classes to finish before he has all his requirements finished.

So here are some places that I have looked for job openings: Craig's list is actually a great resource for finding jobs. I have had the highest return rate on my resume from the jobs posted here. The school has a place where you can look for jobs, but about 50 bajillion (no exaggeration) other students who are in the same position as me are looking at this site. I have also looked on the sites of major corporations that I am already familiar with. This tends to be more vague because they aren't necessarily hiring, have recruiters and also people from all over the country who are familiar with them. I have had a few people who have suggested their workplace. Personal contacts and recommendations are great, however, it is very difficult to find a job that you really want when people are just trying to fix your unemployment for you. I may have to start cold calling different companies in the area, since I have decided that I do in fact want to stay in this area. Probably the best way to find a job is through networking. My school has drilled this into my head. Networking, networking, networking. So you want to know what I have done? Not enough networking. Obviously. Otherwise I would have a job. Don't get me wrong, I have gone to the networking dinners and all that. I just found that particular form of networking inadequate. It seemed that there were never really many employers there. Just people who had already graduated from the U and not all that long ago, either.

Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions, I am looking for a job in marketing or business management that is willing to take someone without a whole lot of practical experience. My undergrad is PR/Advertising and I'm just finishing up my MBA. My emphases are marketing and entrepreneurship. Let me know!

1 comment:

Denae said...

Goodluck .. I wish I could help !

Ps.. that is the other template I was going to chose!