Friday, February 19, 2010

Our Beater Vehicles

I have to preface this by stating that I am glad that both Todd and I drive older vehicles and that they are paid off. A car payment is not an added financial burden that I would like to have right now. That said, I still do not appreciate the joys of cars that break down because they are old enough to be my parents (OK, not really).

This past week, on the car alone, we found that we needed to replace the battery, starter, ignition switch, something on the frame and a couple tires. Mind you, we just replaced the CV joint just a little while ago. Thank Heavens for mechanic brother-in-laws and dads who know their way around an engine. Both of mine have been willing to help Todd work on the car, although he replaced the starter and the battery by himself the other day.

As for the ignition switch...well, it's kind of important to be able to start the car. However, to fix that, we have to take the whole steering column apart. Who has time for that? So instead, we are saving that project for a sunnier day and Todd and my bro-in-law bypassed the ignition switch with wiring and created a start button in the car. It's real classy when we have to reach down below the steering wheel and hotwire our car to go anywhere.

So if you see me starting my blue car, I promise, I'm not lifting it. And as for the question of why don't we get another car? If we can find one that's cheap enough, we might be able to swing it, but I sure do have sentimental feelings for my Grandpa Blue car that was inherited from my brother. I don't know if we'll ever get rid of it.

No comments: